There’s so many new things going on in social media, and I know you all want to hear it. But, to keep this post short and sweet – I’m going let you know what I think are the coolest social media updates.
1) Instagram Launches ‘Boomerang’
(Courtesy of Instagram)
This new video app is so cool! Now anyone (with an iOS or Android device) can easily make their own personalized GIF-like videos. The app combines photos into one-second videos that play forward and backward in a loop. Videos can be shot in portrait or landscape mode and automatically saves to users’ camera rolls. This isn’t Instagram’s first standalone app, Layout and Hyperlapse were the first ones that really took off.
Needless to say, Boomerang could help Instagram introduce more variety into its flagship app without complicating its interface.
BONUS: Boomerang doesn’t require you to have Instagram, for those of you who are against ‘gramming.
Check out our very own Boomerang video!
2) Facebook’s New Notify App
(Courtesy of Facebook Blog)
Introducing: Notify, a notifications app from Facebook, that sends the latest news to your lock screen. Whether you’re into sports, celebrities, news, movies, music or shopping, Notify makes it easy for you to stay up to date with a broad selection of “stations” across a variety of categories. Some examples of stations include:
- The Final Scores station from FOX Sports that provides end-of-game summaries for your favorite teams.
- The Daily AM Forecast from The Weather Channel that sends a local weather forecast at the start of your day.
- Hot New Trailers from Fandango gets you the newest trailers for the hottest movies as they drop.
- Breaking News from CNN and Top Stories from Fox News deliver the day’s news headlines.
- The 10 Best Dressed station from Vogue is your weekly digest of the best-dressed celebs.
- Daily Meditation from Headspace brings bite-sized guided meditation exercises into your day.
- The Flashback station from Getty Images delivers iconic imagery from this day in history.
To create your personal mix of notifications you can select the stations you want to receive updates from. Sources like the ones above will publish notifications through these stations when there are relevant updates. Notify also provides station suggestions based on your Facebook profile and it’s easy to discover and add new stations any time.
3) Snapchat Video Update
(Photo Courtesy via TechCrunch.com/Europe)
Here’s how the new Snapchat filters work:
- Slow-Motion – reduces the speed of your video so people can catch the little details, like a dog shaking off
- Fast-Forward – makes your video play faster, which is great for sight gags of people falling, like in the example up top
- Rewind – plays your video back at the same speed but in reverse, defying the laws of physics
This opens up tons of creative opportunities. For example, you could video people who are walking in the busy streets of New York City, then use the rewind app and see tons of people quickly walking backwards. It’s pretty awesome! Isn’t technology great? Snapchat’s video filters give us normal people (aka amateur videographers) the same special effects as a professional.
2) YouTube Red Allows You To Watch Videos Ad-Free For 10$ Per Month
With YouTube Red you can watch videos across YouTube without ads, while also saving videos to watch offline on your mobile device and you can even play videos in the background – all for $9.99 a month. The membership extends across devices and anywhere you sign into YouTube, including their Gaming app and a brand new YouTube Music app that was released yesterday.
YouTube Music is designed to make discovering, watching and listening to music easy- Any song or artist you choose on YouTube Music will start you on a personal journey through music catalogs; just sign in, tap a track you love, and see where your music takes you.
And as a special bonus – YouTube Red works with Google Play Music, so when you subscribe to one, you automatically get access to the other. Starting early next year, YouTube Red will get even better with member-only access to new, original shows and movies from some of YouTube’s biggest creators.
Which app will you be downloading next?